If you are applying for grants in Canada, you have several different options depending on where you live. This page lists different funding opportunities for the arts provided through the federal government of Canada.
The Canada Council for the Arts (CCA) is the biggest funder for the arts in Canada. The Canada Council, a federal Crown corporation, is accountable to Parliament through the Minister of Canadian Heritage and is governed by an 11-member Board.
They fund individuals, collectives, incorporated non-profits and charities. They fund everything from professional development to projects to presenting art to digital initiatives.
Their funding programs are divided into the following activities:
- Explore and Create
- Engage and Sustain
- Creating, Knowing and Sharing : The Arts and Cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples
- Supporting Artistic Practice
- Arts Across Canada
- Arts Abroad
Plus additional funds:
- Digital Strategy Fund
- Access Support Fund
- Official Languages Fund
- Market Access Strategy for Official Language Minority Communities (OLMC) Fund
- Media Arts Equipment Acquisition Fund
And a variety of prizes.
Most programs have multiple deadlines. All applications are now accepted online through the Portal. All applicants must create an account under their name. Creating an account takes some time, so be sure to start the process well before the deadline.
Find out more: canadacouncil.ca/
Canadian Heritage (or Department of Canadian Heritage or DCH) is part of the federal Ministry of Canadian Heritage. Canadian Heritage primarily fund non-profits and charities in Canada. They have many funding programs that support culture, history, heritage, sport and official languages in Canada.
They are a key funder of presenters and festivals and also support venues, community anniversaries and cultural heritage events.
Some of their key grants include:
- Canada Cultural Spaces Fund - this fund supports the improvement of arts and culture facilities in Canada, including projects with a focus on accessibility.
- Legacy Fund - Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage - this funds supports the improvement and transformation of local heritage and cultural sites that are transformed into local arts spaces
Find out more: canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage.html