It is always a good idea to have insurance. Most venues will require that you have proof of insurance in their rental agreement. You may also need insurance for your board of directors, or for members of your team if your production requires driving and transportation. Let's break down a few different types of insurance that are key for producing live performance events.

Types of Insurance

  • Annual Theatrical Insurance: an insurance policy that is specifically designed for theatre companies and productions that have longer production runs or seasons (as it is a year long). It includes all kinds of things like touring, rentals, injuries, etc. It also includes driver’s insurance for rental vehicles (for up to a certain amount of weeks).

Examples: actONE Insurance

  • Short Term Theatrical Insurance: is an option for a one-off production that is less costly than annual insurance. More relevant for a collective that may not being doing anything within the year. If there may be more that one production, it might make more sense to do annual insurance.

Examples: SOLO Insurance

  • D&O Insurance: : insurance that covers Directors and Officers of a company, which are primarily on a Board of Directors

  • Driver’s Insurance: If your company owns a vehicle, you will require separate insurance for that which is usually driver-specific.

Using a Broker

Insurance brokers are independent sales representatives for a selected number of different insurance companies and are paid commissions by the companies. A broker works as your organization’s representative and can shop around to find an insurance company that offers a policy that best meets your needs.

Insurance certificates

If you are hosting a workshop in a space, the company renting you the space may require proof of your insurance and a certificate that names their space. You or your insurance broker is able to grant a certificate for a specific event or space. This typically does not come at any extra charge and is a simple transaction through your broker or something you’re able to do on your own, with the provision of informing your insurance company when you have issued a certificate.


For information on insurance coverage in Ontario with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), visit: WSIB.on.ca

Front Row Insurance: SOLO - specifically designed for producers who require insurance for smaller productions, that are up to 4 weeks long. It covers venue operators as well as the artists seeking insurance.
Dance Instructor Insurance - designed for freelance dance instructors, or for sole owners of a dance studio who teaches classes.
The Shepherd Group - offers commercial liability insurance for entrepreneurs and small business owners.